Independent advice

The terms ‘restricted’ and ‘independent’ are used by the Financial Conduct Authority to refer to the type of financial advice a financial planner can provide. An independent adviser can offer advice on all types of investment products from all providers, but advice given by a restricted adviser will be focused on certain types of investment products or plans offered by certain providers.

A financial planner is required to tell you in writing whether they provide ‘restricted’ or ‘independent’ advice.

Did you find this article helpful?

Sorry about that

How can we improve it?


That's great. Thank you for your feedback.

Thanks for the feedback. It's really useful.

Speak to an expert

If you would like to talk to us about your investment needs you can contact us on: