Getting over an inflation shock
Read about global markets and trends in this monthly Investment Outlook.
Published on 06 Oct 20231 minute read
This monthly commentary gives a roundup of global markets and trends.
In this edition:
- Concerns that inflation may revive are weighing on financial markets, with government bond yields at their highest since 2007
- Higher oil prices are adding to overheating worries. Oil prices have been a major factor in previous inflation spikes
- Surveys of inflation expectations continue to ease, which is reducing the pressure on the Bank of England to raise interest rates
- A key uncertainty is the ultimate impact higher interest rates will have on the economy, which operate with an unpredictable lag
- New BRICS on the bloc – the emerging world seeks to challenge western economic dominance
The value of an investment may go down as well as up and you may get back less than you originally invested.
You may also like…
The impact on financial markets from the Israel-Hamas confl…