Bestinvest Logo

US share trading

See US share trading FAQs

US share trading FAQs

You’ll need to open or transfer an account to Bestinvest if you don’t already have one. If you’re already with us, search for US shares then follow the instructions. You need a valid W-8BEN form to trade US shares.

See What is a W-8BEN form and how do I complete one to find out more. 

You can hold US shares in any account. If you’re trading US shares in your ISA, Junior ISA or Investment Account you’ll need to have an up-to-date W-8BEN form. To trade US shares in a SIPP or trust account, you’ll need a different W-8BEN form, which we can arrange for you.

See What’s a W-8BEN form and how do I complete one.

You can buy shares in hundreds of major US companies. Search for US shares to find out more. 

  • No online share dealing fee*
  • 0.95% foreign exchange fee on trades
  • No foreign exchange fee on dividend reinvestment or payout
  • Maximum 0.2% service fee to hold US shares on the platform in any account
  • No monthly subscription required, only pay for shares you

*Telephone orders are priced at £30 per deal

  • What is it? A W-8BEN form is also known as a Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting 
  • Why do I need one? You need to complete a W-8BEN to hold US shares in any account except a SIPP or trust account. Depending on your residency, you may also benefit from treaty taxation relief on your US income upon the completion of this form.  
  • When do I need to complete it? When you buy US shares for the first time you will be asked to complete this form if you haven’t done so already. A W-8BEN form is valid for three years.
  • How do I complete it? 

For ISAs and Investment Accounts, you can complete a W-8BEN form online. Just log in (or create an account), try to buy a US share and follow the instructions.  

For a Junior ISA you need to complete the W-8BEN form offline. You can find the form and guidance on completing it here.   

For a SIPP or trust account, you need to complete a different W-8BEN form. Please contact us on or 020 7189 9999 and we will arrange this for you.   

  • A CREST Depository Interest (CDI) is a UK investment that represents an investment listed on an exchange outside the UK. We use CDIs to allow you to trade US shares in your account.   
  • CREST is the electronic system for holding financial securities and settles transactions for UK stocks. CDIs are needed because you can’t settle international shares in CREST (Certificates Registry for Electronic Share Transfer).
  • When you buy or sell a US share in your Bestinvest account, CREST issue a CDI, which lets you settle your purchase or sale in GBP, exactly as you would for a UK share.
  • CREST issues one CDI for each share in a US company – each CDI is equivalent to one share of the underlying company. Dividends are paid on CDIs in the local currency of the investment and converted to GBP before being credited to your account.  
  • Please note that a foreign exchange charge (for converting USD to GBP) applies when you buy or sell a US share.

For more information, see How much does it cost to buy US shares?

Yes, in most instances this is possible. Please contact us on or 020 7189 9999 to discuss and we can arrange this for you. 

To trade US shares on Bestinvest you need to log in on your desktop - at the moment you can’t trade US shares through the mobile app.